Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Because ... child labor is awesome

I know.  Child labor is wrong.  When children are working to make pretty shoes or bags, and not going to school, it is wrong and should be stopped.

But ... children working is good.  I picked up a lot of terrible traits from my dad (too many to mention), but one of the good traits is the value of working.  I love projects.  I love working on something and being able to say afterward that I did that.  I also love saving money from doing it myself.  And there is a lot to be said for being able to work with someone to accomplish something.  I know how to work with my mom and brother, because there were things that needed to get done, and we needed to know how to get them done together.

I was reminded of this yesterday when Nathan and I washed the car.  He had his own sponge, and he would swish the water around, splash himself, splash me, and then rub the car.  So he really did not accomplish much. But he did work with me, and we started the habit of working on projects together.  And one day he may even wash the car himself ... I am sure that will coincide with when he wants to drive it ;)

4 comments:

  1. Great picture. Hey I always loved washing the car with my dad when I was younger. I know see as you are doing it's just a way to make doing chores fun and eventually turned into mowing the lawn (Which was fun for one time only) and other crap.

    Way to continue the tradition!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a cute pic. This reminds me of how my dad would let me hammer a nail 50 times if that's what it took to get it in. He resisted the urge to rip it out of my hands because i wasn't being productive. So it is great to see you and your little helper bonding : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. By all means put the kids to work, I know I put mine to work whenever possible :). It helps that Morgan is a little odd and actually gets upset if she isn't allowed to wash the floor or the wall when we're on a cleaning spree heh.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Isn't the reason to have kids is so they can do work around the house? I know my parents thought so.

    ReplyDelete